Our Medical Advocacy program staffs advocates in healthcare settings to identify people impacted by domestic violence. We offer information about Anew: Building Beyond Violence and Abuse and related resources as well as facilitating access to appropriate Anew: Building Beyond Violence and Abuse programs and services.
What We Do
The Anew: Building Beyond Violence and Abuse Medical Advocacy Program provides outreach to area medical facilities to increase the health system’s response to domestic violence and to increase individual knowledge of available community resources if domestic violence is impacting patients.
Medical advocates provide the following services to individuals who come into the emergency rooms or urgent care centers we serve:
- Information about domestic violence and Anew: Building Beyond Violence and Abuse
- Trauma-informed, empowerment-based, safety-centered advocacy
- Emotional support
- Education on the dynamics of domestic violence
- Safety planning
- Court referrals for an order of protection.
Medical advocates also assist and train medical personnel to understand and recognize the dynamics of domestic violence and the different signs of abuse.
Where You Will Find Us
- Advocate/South Suburban Hospital and Medical Center, Hazel Crest
- Franciscan St. James Hospital and Medical Center, Olympia Fields campus
- Cook County Health Center in Ford Heights